Biohacking prequel − decentralize and liberate garage biology / Non-formal discussion

Here is a suggestion in response to CFP, from Breton Biohackerspace Kaouenn Noz.

We do not want to bind any kind of harsh proposal, We would prefer to build something with others from a discussion here in the forum.

Just some thoughts from our minds:

• Open knowledge and open science
  • Garage & underground culture
  • Libre Insuline
  • Seeds and environmental investigation
  • Health, care, diagnostic
  • Critical pedagogy
  • Hospitality

Please, post your asking, question, comment, below and anything you want to wheel or want to see happen.

We also will come with some materials and equipment in order to practice some quick bio-tricks.

Amazing @faiza would you be interested in joining us for this OFFDEM we could imagine a part of the conversation that involves prendre soin and issues of health, care, and workers.

I know people who would appreciate “libre insulin”. Can you say more about this topic?

Hello everyone, I am new here, @XavCC told me about the OFFDEM during one of our discussion in the Kaouenn Noz Biohackerspace. I would happily participate to an event about open science/knowledge.

I don’t know much about what have been done around, but I would be glad to discuss and meet people to see what we can achieve altogether.

@how About libre insulin it’s an early topic that we started to spoke about. It’s easily inspired from the OpenInsulin project. Since they published very few information on their work, we were thinking to try to make our own open project. For now we don’t have the ambition to reach a medical grade quality product but rather a proof of concept. Showing that we can produce the molecule on our own would be a great start. For now the status of the project is a draft document with some biblographic data :wink:

We would be very glad to support the formation of a ‘biohacking syndicate’ around free (as in freedom) insulin production protocols at OFFDEM.

Should we “prepare” some stuff on ‘biohacking syndicate’?

By the way, I am also thinking about “How to prevent from E.Muskulator guys & philosophy and avoid capitalist leeway” In Biohacking. i.e "Festival of Growing” (By G. Church) and Cie.

Yes Biohacking syndicate seems pertinent, as there is already a very diverse and very localised covering of biohackerspaces around the world with as many different understanding of the concept as there are spaces.

In Brussels historically there has been Fo.am I will contact with Rasa who is still intown: people | FoAM.
I also found out the existence of a student biohack space at erasmus hogeschool I will also contact them: Open BioLab | Erasmushogeschool Brussel
And a number of years ago we did a relearn session on collective care and DIY care during 2017 Re-Learn sessions the pad with the documentation is still here: http://osp.kitchen:9999/p/relearn-2017-CCTF-2 I can give a shout on the re-learn mailing list if it feels pertinent.

In the context I feel there is a lot of civil society organisation that could be done via biohack spaces

What a terrific picture for upcoming meeting :wink: composed with “Syndicate” by Spacecookie, with FoAm & others., and so on and so forth.

And thanks to @lula,
I have found out “CC4r * COLLECTIVE CONDITIONS FOR RE-USE | Copyleft Attitude with a difference - version 1.0

With:

1. CONDITIONS
    The invitation to (re-)use the work licenced under CC4r applies as long as the FUTURE AUTHOR is convinced that this does not contribute to oppressive arrangements of power, privilege and difference. These may be reasons to refrain from release and re-use.
    If it feels paralyzing to decide whether or not these conditions apply, it might point at the need to find alternative ways to activate the work. In case of doubt, consult for example https://constantvzw.org/wefts/orientat

It might be an interested lead to work on a License for biohacking material, instead of OpenMTA one

The effort to this CC4r* license came from Unbound Libraries - Constant & MARCH, and it seems that many people linked to Brussels are associated with it.

Should we shoot a contact message (all folks / orgas pointed in this discussion)? cc @ebul

Thanks for bringging the topic up @ebul and welcome here.
If you wish to post a bit information on the work you people are doing, we could use it as preparatory material.
If you need anything information to come up to OFFDEM there is a dedicated topic here: https://ps.zoethical.org/t/offdem-o-2022-hospitality-transportation/5325/3

I’m really sorry for the delay of answering. I didn’t had much time lately and I forgot to check the answers here. There is very few infomation at the moment but I can try to post here the preparatory document I made last month about this. Probably by the end of the day. Thanks for your answer :slight_smile:

I was hoping to finish a translation but it’s adding delay so for now here is the page with a few information on the Kaouenn Noz wiki prototypes:libre_insuline_in_rennes [Kaouenn-noz]